The Bitching Blog

The Bitching Blog
If you are easily offended, stop reading now.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Time to bitch

It's time to bitch. Let's bitch about Facebook. Facebook is like reliving your high school days. Wow, those were fun, let's get nostalgic (I hope you have a big mop to wipe up all that dripping sarcasm).

I've been a member of Facebook for about 6 months now. I'll admit, there are a few people with whom I had lost touch and whom I was glad to reconnect with. I personally have tried to use the FB platform as a tool to pass on kindness. Mostly. And mostly, my kindness has been met with kindness. Not always. Here's two examples.

#1 - I see the picture of a girl I knew when I was in grade school. She wasn't in my class, but lived in the neighborhood and our families intertwined some. So, I write her a note:

Me - Hey, Ruth. Nice to see you here on FB. I remember my mother babysitting you and your brother and sister at our house. I remember your mother working on a construction crew. How cool, she was way ahead of her time! Hope you are well.

Ruth - Wow, I don't know you. Your mother must have sat for my brother and sister, but not for me, I was a latchkey kid. Sorry.

BTW, the "friend" request I sent - ignored. Wow. Guess she must have been being traumatized at the time, how was I to know. Eek. Oh, and her picture - looks like the hard knock life (I know, snarky of me, but it's true). Oh, and she's friends with the other people from the hood. Except my brother Ed, who got the same weird reaction from her. Brings this to mind - "see you next Tuesday..."

#2 - On occasion, 'friend suggestions' pop up, based on friends that you share with someone else. Oh, here's one, it's Ann. Ann lived in the neighborhood, was a couple years older than me and had a really big family. Her sister Elaine was in my class, was a friend of mine. All of our siblings knew each other. One of her sisters is a FB friend of mine. Wow, I see she's a high school science teacher!

Me - Hi Ann. Nice to see you on FB. How great is it that you are a science teacher! I love it when women go after careers in math and science. Hey, I lived in the MW school district for a while not too long ago. Great system, but those taxes, ouch!

Ann - And you would be...?

Me - (Ouch!) Oh, sorry, sister to Randy and Ed T., lived on Pinetree Dr., was in Elaine's class. Just saying hello.

BTW - Ann is friends with brother Ed...hmmm. No further contact. (see you next Tuesday...) Now, I know it's not personal, it's these people, but c'mon, I was being nice. At least say something nice. Nope. It's like HS. Did I mention I skipped school a lot? Yeah. I skip a shitload of FB, too.

1 comment:

  1. OH MAN, ( mwahaha ) I agree with you on this one. FB has turned into a Jr HS Idiot melting pot! I swear most of what I read on there is someone bitching about or at someone else. They can have it...I'll stick with the blogs. I can write more here too :)

    p.s. Ya, skipping was fun....still is !


    Jake

    ReplyDelete